Doha – Just as he did two years ago, Ethiopian Muktar Edris sprinted to win a dramatic 5,000-meter final. Edris overtook compatriot Selemon Barega in the final 70 meters to finish in 12:58.85, while Barega took second in 12:59.70. Mohahmed of Canada, who led at the bell, held on for the bronze medal in 13:01.11.
Jakob Ingebrigtsen of Norway, 19, made a bid for the win with 300 meters to go, but was passed by Edris and Barega at the top of the homestretch and faded to fifth in 13:02.93.
Men’s 5000m final:
- Muktar Edris (Ethiopia) 12:58
- Selemon Barega (Ethiopia) 12:59
- Mohammed Ahmed (Canada) 13:01
- Telahun Haile Bekele (Ethiopia) 13:02
- Jakob Ingebrigsten (Norway) 13:02
Source: Runners World