Addis Ababa, Ethiopia – The third edition of the Women of Excellence annual celebration of leadership and contribution made by Ethiopian women, hosted by the Association of Women in Business (AWiB), will take place on October 19 at the Sheraton Addis.
Seven candidates have been identified for this year’s title, Seble Hailu, president of the association, told The Reporter.
This was disclosed during a press conference held on October 7 at Saro-Maria Hotel. Blen Sahilu, board member and head of public relations of the association, told The Reporter that each year the association celebrates the dedication, ingenuity and achievement of amazing Ethiopian women, one of which will take the title of AWiB 2014 Women of Excellence (WOE).
It was also disclosed that the nominees are chosen for their vision, proven record of success, courage and compassion as demonstrated by how they have helped other women to succeed.
For this year’s title some 21 nominees were identified and due to various reasons, such as some of the nominees being outside Ethiopia, refusal from some of the nominees for various reasons and more, the list was reduced to 12. The final 12 nominees were interviewed, and the association has shortlisted seven women for the final 2014 award.
In this regard, the runners for this year’s award are:
- Dr Bogalech Gebre, Founder and Director of KMG Ethiopia
- Frealem Shibabaw, Founder and Director of Bahir Dar Academy and Director of the Ethiopian School Meal Initiative
- Dr Liya Tadesse, CEO and Vice Provost at St. Paul Hospital Millennium Medical College
- Rachel Mekuria, Former Head of the Educational Television Production Division and Former Board President of the Young Women’s Christian Association
- Tadelech Hailemikael, former Minister of the Ministry of Women’s Affairs and Ambassador, Founder and Director of the Women’s Development Fund
- Tirhas Mezgebe, Founder and CEO of Mujujegwa Loka Women’s Development, and
- Zemi Yenus, Founder and Director of the NIA Foundation.
According to the president of the association, presenting the nominees were conducted through various mass media, social media and via the website of the association.
The winner of this title will receive a prize of one hundred thousand birr, and to cover such and other expenses, the association is partnering with various partners such as banks like the Commercial Bank of Ethiopia (CBE) and Dashen Bank.
This year’s celebration will be the third of its kind and the opening speech will be delivered by the renowned Dr. Catherine Hamlin. Tsigie Haile, Founder and Director of WISE, and Sara Mohamed, Founder and Managing Director of Next Design and Modeling School, were the first and second award winners, respectively.
AWiB is a women’s association committed to the development of women as well as the recognition of inspirational female Ethiopian leaders and their important contributions to the community. The association has been operational since April, 2010.
Source: The Reporter