Los Angeles – Floyd Mayweather says he is willing to fight Manny Pacquiao next May in a blockbuster world title fight but only if he receives a much bigger share of the purse.
Speaking to Showtime Sports on Friday night, Mayweather said he wants his next fight to be against Filipino star Pacquiao, who is coming off an impressive win over Chris Algieri last month in Macau, China.
The 37-year-old Mayweather (47-0, 26 KOs) said his is ready to reach out to Pacquiao’s people with the hope that the expected richest fight in boxing history can be held on May 2.
“We want the fight, we are ready,” Mayweather said.
“Let’s make it happen on May 2. Mayweather versus Manny Pacquiao. Let’s do it.
“I am not ducking or dodging any opponent. Bob Arum is stopping the fight.
“I wanted that fight a long time ago and I am just waiting on them.”
The two were long-time rivals as the “best pound-for-pound” boxers of their generation, but the dream fight has never materialized to the disappointment of the boxing world.
Mayweather did not go into financial details but he has insisted in the past that he receive the majority of the purse, especially the lucrative pay-per-view revenues.
In 2012 there was speculation that a fight between the two could lead to the first $200 million purse in boxing history with much of that money coming from pay-per-view sales.
At one point Pacquiao says Mayweather offered him a $40 million purse on the condition Mayweather would keep the pay-per-view money, which would have amounted to more than double what Pacquiao received.
Previous talks were also scuttled because Mayweather says Pacquiao (57-5-2, 38 KOs) refused to submit to random blood testing.
Critics of Mayweather have accused him of ducking the 35-year-old Pacquiao for years, saying that his lopsided money demands were just a way to scuttle talks. The undefeated Mayweather even admitted before one of his recent Las Vegas fights that he “hand picks” his opponents.
But on Friday he was singing a different tune, calling out his rival and insisting it was Pacquiao who is ducking him not the other way around.
“Let’s make this fight happen. Bob Arum and Manny Pacquiao you guys have been ducking us for years.
“We are tired of you guys fooling the public, fooling the critics.
“We tried to make the fight happen before and you guys didn’t want to take random blood and urine testing so that’s why the fight didn’t happen. Then I offered you $40 million and then you didn’t want to make the fight happen.
“You lost twice now and you are coming back begging for the same money. That is not going to happen.”
May 2 is the Cinco de Mayo holiday weekend when Mayweather normally fights in the United States.
Mayweather also hinted Friday that this could be his last fight, though he has said that before each of his last few title fights in Las Vegas as a way to boost ticket sales.
“I want to go out with a bang,” he said.