Ethiosports has been Ethiopia’s premier sports news magazine since 1999. But after more than a decade of valuable service, we felt that our readers will benefit greatly if we added other sports news categories and also expanded our geographical coverage to the United States, where the majority of our readers reside. As a result, we added the following sections:
- Sports News (NBA, NFL, NCAA, MLS …)
- Sports Bars & Pubs
- Sports Business
- Sports Camps & Academies
- Sports Destinations & Tours
- Sports Events
- Sports Facilities
- Sports Media (TV, Websites, etc…) and
- Sports Tourism
We hope you will enjoy the new categories which will provide you a one-stop source for All-Sports related news & information.
Furthermore, we created Sports Tourism News, a new online news magazine dedicated to Sports Tourism in the United States and around the globe.
1 million Ethiopians in the US
The number of Ethiopians & Ethiopian-Americans living and working in the United States is estimated to be around 1 million. EthioSports will serve as a great platform for companies and advertisers to explore this niche & untapped market.
Website Growth: Our website has shown tremendous growth over the years, where our daily news is now indexed in Google News, helping us to attract the following numbers*: (Source: Google Analytics)
The great majority of our visitors (70%) come form North America and Europe.
* 57% of our visitors are new visitors. Growth comparison (%) between 2011 and 2012:
- Unique Visitors – 85% increase
- Visits – 67%
- Pageviews – 61%
News, Press Releases & Articles - We will post the latest news & information and also welcome your press releases and articles. Please send yours at: [email protected].
Events: We can post your “Events”. Send yours at: [email protected]
Partners & Sponsors: We will work with any organization, institution and business to create mutually-beneficial opportunities. Send us all your sponsors’ queries at: [email protected].
Advertising: Become a sponsor of EthioSports and we’ll publish your company’s profile; news, press releases, articles, deals & offers, events …. We offer the following advertising opportunities: Square (125×125), Rectangle (300×250) and Banner (468×60) Ads. Vitit our “Advertising Page” or contact us at: [email protected]
Mamo Gebrehiwot, Founder & Publisher - [email protected] Oregon, USA – July 2013
Founder & Managing Editor- Mamo Gebrehiwot Mamo Gebrehiwot is an Ethiopian/American Sports Consultant with extensive business and sports background. Education: B.A. in Business Administration with emphasis in Accounting- San Jose State University, San Jose, California. Sports Background: Mamo played for Electric Football Club’s reserve team, one of Ethiopia’s leading soccer clubs but his playing career was cut short due to a nagging knee injury. Undeterred by the setback, he used his love for the sport and his language skills to pursue a career as a sport journalist with the English daily “Ethiopian Herald”, which gave him the opportunity to meet and interview some of Africa’s leading soccer stars, athletes, coaches and officials. Following his move to the United States, where he received a Bachelor Degree in Business Administration from San Jose State University, Mamo worked as a Credit analyst and Auditor for Silicon Valley Bank for seven years. Despite his striving career, he left the banking world to pursue a career in sports. He has, since then, worked as an independent sports consultant working with the Ethiopian Athletics and Football Federations, founded soccer-africa.com, an online magazine (folded in 2000) and Ethiosports.com, which was mentioned as one of the world’s 100 Best Soccer Sites by Soccer America magazine (July 3, 2000). Languages Skills: Amharic (Ethiopian), French and English He currently resides in Aloha, Oregon, where he can be reached at: [email protected] Mamo with some of the World’s Greatest Sports Personalities
- Mamo with England’s 1966 World Cup winner & Manchester United superstar
- Sir Bobby Charlton (left), France’s 1984 European Champion & current UEFA President
- Michel Platini (center), CAF President Issa Hayatou and 2010 Southe Africa’s World
- Cup Organizing Committee President, Danny Jordan
- Mamo with Ethiopia’s greatest athlete Haile Gebrselassie (left), Germany’s World
- Cup winner and current US national soccer team coach Jurgen Klinsman (center)
- and England’s 1966 World Cup hat-trick hero Geoff Hurst
EthioSports.com has over the years interviewed some of Ethiopia’s greatest athletes such as Haile Gebrselassie & Kenenisa Bekele, and worked with & assisted:
- Ethiopian Football Federation (EFF)
- Ethiopian Athletics’ Federation (EAF)
- National Ethiopian Cycling Federation (NECF)
- Ethiopian Ju Jitsu Association
- Confederation of Africaine Football (CAF)
- International Amateur Athletics Federations (IAAF) and
- A great number of individuals (Ethiopians & others) and NGOs
EthioSports’ contribution to Ethiopian sports is not limited to just reporting news & information, as it has:
- Provided running shoes to young Ethiopian runners
- Organized & financed a cycling championship (bearing its name) in 1999 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, which was attended by 20,000 cycling enthusiasts. The competition was covered by all Ethiopian media - print, radio & TV.
- Assisted a number of individuas & organizations and much more.