Ethiosports is an Ethiopian-American Magazine based in Oregon, USA.
Ethiosports has been Ethiopia’s premier sports news magazine since 1999. But after more than a decade of valuable service, we felt that it was time to make some changes. As a result, we’ve:
- Added other news categories
- Expanded our news coverage to the United States, where the majority of our readers reside.
- Launched a new monthly Digital Advertising Magazine.
- Business & Economy
- Financial Services
- Food & Beverage
- Real Estate
- Technology and
- Travel & Tourism
Please let us know if we need to add more.
We hope that by making the changes we can provide you a one-stop source for All-Ethiopia related news & information.
Maintain Domain name
Despite the changes, we will continue to maintain our domain name “www.ethiosports.com”, which we’ve worked so hard to develop and grow over the past 14 years.
What We Do
- Post News & Press Releases, Deals & Discounts, Events & Profiles
- Provide a platform for businesses and organizations to advertise their products and services to the 1,000,000 Ethiopians living in the United States.
- Help connect visitors and service providers
1 million Ethiopians in the US
The number of Ethiopians & Ethiopian-Americans living and working in the United States is estimated to be around 1 million. Ethiosports will serve as a great platform for companies and advertisers to explore this niche & untapped market..
Website Growth: Our website has shown tremendous growth over the years, where our daily news is now indexed in Google News, helping us to attract the following numbers*: (Source: Google Analytics)
2013 Stats (Jan. 1- Dec. 31, 2013)
Total Visits: 388,767 (USA= 188,443 or 43.33%)
Unique Visitors: 222,097
Page Views: 768,963
News, Press Releases & Articles - We will post the latest news & information and also welcome your press releases and articles. Please send yours at: [email protected].
Travel Deals & Offers: Ethiosports will publish news & information on airlines, tours, hotels and restaurants’ deals & offers. So, send us yours.
Share your Experience: We invite you to share your travel experience (including photos) in Africa & here in the US.
Advertising: Become a sponsor of EthioSports and we’ll publish your company’s profile; news, press releases, articles, deals & offers, events …. We offer the following advertising opportunities: Square (125×125), Rectangle (300×250) and Banner (468×60) Ads. Vitit our “Advertising Page” or contact us at: [email protected]
Mamo Gebrehiwot, Founder & Publisher -[email protected]
Founder & Managing Editor- Mamo Gebrehiwot Mamo Gebrehiwot is an Ethiopian/American Sports Consultant with extensive business and sports background.
Education: B.A. in Business Administration with emphasis in Accounting- San Jose State University,Â San Jose, California.
Sports Background: Mamo played for Electric Football Club’s reserve team, one of Ethiopia’s leading soccer clubs but his playing career was cut short due to a nagging knee injury. Undeterred by the setback, he used his love for the sportÂ and his language skills to pursue a career as a sport journalist with the English daily “Ethiopian Herald”,Â which gave him the opportunity to meet and interview some of Africa’s leading soccer stars, athletes, coaches and officials. Following his move to the United States, where he received a Bachelor Degree in Business Administration from San Jose State University, Mamo worked as a Credit analyst and Auditor for Silicon Valley BankÂ for seven years. Despite his striving career, he left the banking world to pursue a career in sports. He has, since then, worked as an independent sports consultant working with the Ethiopian Athletics and Football Federations, founded soccer-africa.com, an online magazine (folded in 2000) and Ethiosports.com, which was mentioned as one of the world’s 100 Best Soccer Sites by Soccer America magazine (July 3, 2000).
Languages Skills: Amharic (Ethiopian), French and English He currently resides in Aloha, Oregon, where he can be reached at: [email protected]
Mamo with some of the World’s Greatest Sports Personalities
- Mamo with England’s 1966 World Cup winner & Manchester United superstar
- Sir Bobby Charlton (left), France’s 1984 European Champion & current UEFA President
- Michel Platini (center), CAF President Issa Hayatou and 2010 Southe Africa’s World
- Cup Organizing Committee President, Danny Jordan
- Mamo with Ethiopia’s greatest athlete Haile Gebrselassie (left), Germany’s World
- Cup winner and current US national soccer team coach Jurgen Klinsman (center)
- and England’s 1966 World Cup hat-trick hero Geoff Hurst
EthioSports.com has over the years interviewed some of Ethiopia’s greatest athletes such as Haile Gebrselassie & Kenenisa Bekele, and worked with & assisted:
- Ethiopian Football Federation (EFF)
- Ethiopian Athletics’Federation (EAF)
- National Ethiopian Cycling Federation (NECF)
- Ethiopian Ju Jitsu Association
- Confederation of Africaine Football (CAF)
- International Amateur Athletics Federations (IAAF) and
- A great number of individuals (Ethiopians & others) and NGOs
EthioSports’ contribution to Ethiopian sports is not limited to just reporting news & information, as it has:
- Provided running shoes to young Ethiopian runners
- Organized & financed a cycling championship (bearing its name) in 1999 in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, which was attended by 20,000 cycling enthusiasts. The competition was covered by all Ethiopian media -print, radio & TV.
- Assisted a number of individuas & organizations and much more.