Sports Commission blows past last yearÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s record, looks forward to remainder of 2013
Gulf Shores & Orange Beach Sports Commission exceeds 2012Ã¢â‚¬â„¢s numbers with huge year-to-date totals
GULF SHORES AND ORANGE BEACH, ALA.Ã‚Â Ã¢â‚¬â€œ With the addition of many athletic events and unwavering community support, theÃ‚Â Gulf Shores & Orange Beach Sports CommissionÃ‚Â (GSOBSC) topped 2012Ã¢â‚¬â„¢s record-breaking year as of August 2013, directly impacting coastalÃ‚Â Alabama tourism. As the result of close to 90 events hosted so far this year, the year-to-date total direct visitor spending is nearly $26 million, producing 65,102 room nights. Total spending in 2012 was $22.5 million, producing 64,076 room nights.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“ItÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s with great excitement we announce sports room nights have surpassed 2012Ã¢â‚¬â„¢s totals in just eight months,Ã¢â‚¬Â said Beth Gendler, vice president of sales for GSOBSC. Ã¢â‚¬Å“As with every year, our outcomes are truly the result of the outstanding partnerships we have with Gulf Shores & Orange Beach Tourism, the Cities of Gulf Shores and Orange Beach, the Alabama Gulf Coast Area Chamber of Commerce, our sports commission sponsors, the local community, industry partners and volunteers. Without community support, we could not function as an organization in bringing high-caliber events to AlabamaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Gulf Coast.Ã¢â‚¬Â
New and exciting sporting events for 2013 includedÃ‚Â The Color RunÃ‚Â in May, theÃ‚Â World-Beater All-Beach 10K Race & RelayÃ‚Â in August and theÃ‚Â Xtreme Obstacle Challenge, which will take place in November. Approximately 17 events remain for the year, most notably theÃ‚Â SEC WomenÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Soccer Championship,Ã‚Â Kaiser Realty Coastal Half-Marathon, 5KÃ‚Â and one-mile fun run andÃ‚Â NAIA WomenÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Soccer National Championship.
To learn how to become a sponsor of the sports commission, contact Michelle Russ, sales manager for GSOBSC, atÃ‚Â email@example.com. For information on upcoming athletic events along AlabamaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Gulf Coast, visitÃ‚Â www.gulfshoresorangebeachsports.com, or call 1-800-745-SAND.
Athletic events for the remainder of 2013:
- USTA Alabama League State Tri-Level Championships: Sept. 26-29
- USSSA Softball and Baseball: Sept. 28-29
- Shrimp Festival Volleyball Invitational: Oct. 11-12
- Shrimp Festival 5K and 10K: Oct. 12
- Winn-Dixie Softball Event for Breast Cancer: Oct. 20
- Alabama State Senior & Super Senior Tennis Championships: Oct. 24-27
- Xtreme Obstacle Challenge: Nov. 2
- 2013 SEC WomenÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Soccer Championship: Nov. 4-10
- USTA Southern Combo Doubles Adult Championship: Nov. 7-10
- 2013 Alabama Soccer Festival: Nov. 9-10
- Gulf Coast Youth Football: Nov. 27-30
- 2013 Kaiser Realty Coastal Half-Marathon, 5K and one-mile fun run: Nov. 30
- NAIA WomenÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Soccer National Championship: Dec. 1-7
- 2013 USSSA Alabama State Meeting and All-Stars Presentation: Dec. 10-15
- 2013 USSSA Fall Alabama State Baseball Tournament: Dec. 14
- Second Annual Gulf Shores High School Christmas Invitational: Dec. 19-20
Gulf Shores & Orange Beach Tourism
About Gulf Shores & Orange Beach Sports Commission:
Gulf Shores & Orange Beach Sports Commission is a partnership between Gulf Shores & Orange Beach Tourism, the Alabama Gulf Coast Area Chamber of Commerce and the cities of Gulf Shores and Orange Beach. In 2007, this commission became a department within Gulf Shores and Orange Beach Tourism. In this role, the commission – along with assistance from both cities Ã¢â‚¬â€œ works to bring quality sporting events to AlabamaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Gulf Coast. Gulf Shores & Orange Beach Tourism is an official corporate sponsor of the Southeastern Conference (SEC). For information, please visitÃ‚Â www.gulfshoresorangebeachsports.com.