ROTTERDAM, Netherlands (AP)Ã¢â‚¬â€ Tilahun Regassa led an Ethiopian 1-2 finish at the Rotterdam Marathon on Sunday, breaking away with 3 miles left.
He won the title in just his second marathon, finishing in 2 hours, 5 minutes and 38 seconds. That was 11 seconds slower than his personal best set in Chicago last year.
Regassa ran away from a leading pack of four runners around the 20-mile mark and finished blowing kisses to the crowd down the final straight in this port city. Regassa’s countryman Getu Feleke was second for the second straight year in 2:06.45. Sammy Kitwara of Kenya finished third in 2:07.22.
Jemima Jelagat of Kenya won the women’s race in 2:23.27. Abebech Afework of Ethiopia finished second in 2:23.59.
1. Tilahun Regassa, Ethiopia, 2 hours, 5 minutes, 38Ã‚Â seconds.
2. Getu Feleke, Ethiopia, 2:06:45.
3. Sammy Kitwara, Kenya, 2:07:22.
4. Geoffrey Kipsang, Kenya, 2:09:12.
5. John Mwangangi, Kenya, 2:09:32.
6. Assefa Bentayehu, Ethiopia, 2:09:35.
1. Jemima Jelagat, Kenya, 2:23:27.
2.Ã‚Â Abebech Afework, Ethiopia, 2:23:59.
3.Ã‚Â Hilda Kibet, Netherlands, 2:26:42.
4.Ã‚Â Alesandra Aguilar, Spain, 2:27:03.
5. Mekuria Aberume, Ethiopia, 2:29:04.
6.Ã‚Â Harun Makda, Ethiopia, 2:31:59.