Istambul, Turkey Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Ethiopian women athletes, led by Koren Jelela, dominated the 34thÃ‚Â Vodafone Istanbul Eurasia MarathonÃ‚Â here on Sunday when they took the top four spots.
Koren Jeleta won the race in 2:28.05 followed by compatriots Amane Gobena (2:28.38), Turkish-Ethiopian Sultan Haydar (2:29.41) and Alemitu Abera (2:30.14).
The menÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s race was an all-Kenyan affair as Stephen Chebogut (2:11.05), Kiprotich Yegon (2:15.34) and Evans Kiplagat (2:16.42) took the top 3 spots. Megersa Bach of Ethiopia finished fourth in 2:20.10.
WomenÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s race Ã¢â‚¬â€œ
Women’s race turned out to be tactical affair between four Ã¢â‚¬â€œ an Ethiopian trio and TurkeyÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s Sultan Haydar, 25, an Ethiopian-born race walker and distance runner, who set a personal best of 2:25:09 at the Paris Marathon earlier this year.
Haydar’sÃ‚Â birth nameÃ‚Â isÃ‚Â Chaltu Girma Meshesha.
Jelela, who arrived with a 2:22:43 PB from her win at the 2011 Toronto Waterfront Marathon and a 2:28:05 seasonÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s best from theÃ‚Â London Marathon, staked her claim for the win from the start, taking charge and maintaining her lead through the finish.
1. Koren Jelela, Ethiopia Ã‚Â Ã‚Â 2:28:05
2. Amane Gobena, Ethiopia Ã‚Â Ã‚Â 2:28:38
3. Sultan Haydar, (Turkey/Ethiopia) Ã‚Â 2:29:41Ã‚Â
4. Alemitu Abera, Ethiopia Ã‚Â 2:30:14
5. Ummu Kiraz, Turkey Ã‚Â Ã‚Â Ã‚Â 2:36:15
1. Stephen Chebogut, Kenya Ã‚Â 2:11:05
2. Kiprotich Yegon, Kenya Ã‚Â Ã‚Â 2:15:34
3. Evans Kiplagat, Kenya Ã‚Â Ã‚Â 2:16:43
4. Megersa Bacha, Ethiopia Ã‚Â Ã‚Â Ã‚Â 2:20:10
5. Nicholas Kemboi, Qatar Ã‚Â Ã‚Â 2:20:40