Ethiopian Athletes victorious at Villa Lagarina XC
Villa Lagarina, Italy – Ethiopian athletes led by Kinde Atanau and Afera Godfay were victorious both in the men and women’s categories at the 35th edition of the International EA Cross Country race in Villa Lagarina near Rovereto on Sunday.
Kinde Atanau topped the bill in the menÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s race and Berha Aftera Godfay won the womenÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s race.
The Vallagarina Cross organised by the local club Quercia Rovereto was held on a sunny day.
Atanau produced a strong last lap to beat his compatriot Haftu Fikadu by 11 seconds in the menÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s 8Km race crossing the finish-line in 25:27. Ethiopia claimed the top-three spots on the podium with Mokashaw Kassa third in 25:43.
Atanau was the second Ethiopian in the 35-year-old history of the Vallagarina Cross to take the win after Abera Chane in 2010.
WomenÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s race –
Ethiopian athletes also dominated the womenÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s 5.5Km race. Afera Godfay confirmed her recent good form by taking the honours in 19:15 four seconds ahead of her compatriot Gidey Roman. Italian Agnes Tschurtschenthaler broke the Ethiopian domination by finishing third in 19:38.
Results from the 35th edition of the Vallagarina Cross Country race:
Ã‚Â MenÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s race (8.6 km) –
1. Kinde Atanau (Ethiopia) Ã‚Â 25:27
2. Haftu Fikadu (Ethiopia) 25:38
3. Mokeshaw Kassa (Ethiopia) 25:43
4. Abreha Gebretsadik (Ethiopia) 26:05
5. Sergiy Lebid (Ukraine) 26:10
WomenÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s race (5.5 km) –
1. Afera Godfay (Ethiopia) 19:16
2. Roman Gidey (Ethiopia) 19:19
3. Agnes Tschurtschenthaler (Italy) 19:38
4. Fatna Maraoui (Italy) 19:47
5. Federica Dal Ri (Italy) 19:48