Greenloons, Ã‚Â a Virginia-based online eco-tourism resource has named Ethiopia as one of the Top 10 Emerging Destinations for Green and Sustainable Travel.
Vienna, VA, October 08, 2011 –(PR.com)– The business of eco trailblazer Greenloons http://www.greenloons.comis to help travelers source the green vacation of their dreams Ã¢â‚¬â€œ one thatÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s been certified sustainable.
Irene Lane, Greenloons founder, suggests 10 emerging eco destinations as the next Ã¢â‚¬Å“best betsÃ¢â‚¬Â to take folks off the sometimes beaten green path.
Ã¢â‚¬Å“Traveling sustainably in new destinations,Ã¢â‚¬Â Lane said, Ã¢â‚¬Å“helps raise living standards and can create environmental reverence by emphasizing conservation education and advocating sustainable activities that lessen degradation.Ã¢â‚¬Â
HereÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s a list of LaneÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s top developing destinations for green travel:
1. JordanÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s eco-lodges combine local heritage and educational experiences while exploring a mix of modernity, ancient wonders and nature. Think horse or camel safaris, Bedouins, the endangered Arabia oryx, Petra, the Dead Sea and trekking through Dana Nature Reserve. Jordan Family Adventure.
2. BorneoÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s jungles, beaches, caves, exotic wildlife and more than 5,000 diverse and endemic plant species are revealed by, among others, trekking the relatively untouched Mt. Kinabalu and exploring the Kinabatangang River, home to wild boar, orangutans, elephants, king fishers, macaque and proboscis monkeys. Award-winning eco-lodges harvest rainwater, use solar power and manage wildlife rehabilitation. Borneo Family Adventure.
3. The Philippines is among National GeographicÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s 20 Best Destinations for 2011 and Palawan Island its top eco-destination. Among 7,000 islands guests swim with whale sharks, discover endangered sea turtles, spy on the rare Philippine eagle and discover the mountain-to-sea ecosystem of the Puerto-Princesa Subterranean River National Park. Eco-lodges serve locally sourced food and wildlife education. Philippine Discovery.
4. Belize offers more than 87 distinct types of ecosystems, making ecotourism the lifeblood of its economy. Along with 150 identified species of mammals are rainforests, Mayan temples, the worldÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s second longest barrier reef and an abundance of eco-lodges educating travelers about the fragility of its ecosystem. Kayak Belize.
5. Botswana favors low volume, high quality, environmentally conscious safari travel into the Okavango Delta and Kalahari Desert, the savannahs of the Moremi Reserve and the forests of Chobe and Linyanta Game Reserves. Guests enjoy game drives, walking, elephant/horseback/bicycle safaris and boating, plus youth explorer programs emphasizing conservation and bush survival skills. Tented bush camps are environmentally friendly. Delta & Falls Discoverer (Botswana)
6. Poland has mountains, rivers and wetlands and is a haven for hundreds of thousands of migratory birds as well as avid hiking enthusiasts. With 23 National Parks and forests covering nearly 30 percent of the country, Poland has its own Big Game: the European bison, lynx, stoats, martens and red deer. Guests can enjoy eco-ranch lodges. Best of Eastern Europe (Poland)
7. CroatiaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s eco/agritourism focuses on culinary tours with locally sourced organic produce and family farm stays. Activities can include hiking, biking, rafting and canoeing. Dalmatian Islands Walk (Croatia)
8. GuyanaÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s mountain ranges, savannahs and jungle canopy walks combine with river and rainforest eco-lodges for close-up views of exotic birds, jaguars, red howler monkeys, giant river otters and other wildlife. The famed Karanambu Ranch rehabilitates orphaned giant river otters so they can be released back into the wild. Guyana Wildlife Adventure
9. Argentina is home to Glacier National Park and the active Perito Moreno, one of the worldÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s only advancing glaciers, as well as the tropical rain forests of Iguazu Falls near Brazil, the Antarctic environment of Tierra del Fuego, the Andean mountains, the wind-swept Patagonian steppe and the coastal marine habitat of the Valdes Peninsula. Eco-lodges are crafted from local materials to integrate with the environment. Glacier National Park Ã¢â‚¬â€œ El Chalten (Argentina)
10. Ethiopia may be a trek across the Roof of Africa through the virtually untouched Simien Mountains, home of the Gelada baboon, Walia ibex and endangered Ethiopian wolf. Or it may be Rift Valley Lakes and Blue Nile Falls or Lalibela, considered to be one of the greatest spiritual-historical sites of the world. Eco-lodgings are built in the traditional Ã¢â‚¬Å“tikkaÃ¢â‚¬Â style and solar-powered. Ethiopia Explorer
Greenloons (http://www.greenloons.com/) guides families to travel experiences managed by certified third-party suppliers engaged in eco- and sustainable tourism. Lane founded Greenloons in 2010 for the global community of nature enthusiasts and wildlife conservationists interested in accessing detailed and reliable information about responsible, sustainable and certified ecotourism travel vacations both in the US and abroad.
Greenloons is a first-of-its-kind online resource aimed at answering the growing need for accredited eco-tours and sustainable holiday travel in the tourism industry. Greenloons.com provides ecotourism education, news, comparable certified ecotour and volunteer conservation program listings, tour reviews and booking services, plus a forum for the community to share its personal vacation stories and tips for establishing ecotourism in any corner of the world.